On Monday 29 October 2018, the countries Asian wedding suppliers celebrated their achievements at the longest running Asian Wedding Awards on the UK. The annual gala dinner was held at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel.
The wedding planners, photographers, card makers, caterers, venue dressers, filmmakers, hair stylists, makeup artists and toastmasters, were joined by celebrities and dignitaries to celebrate and acknowledge their successes.
The Gala Dinner and awards is now in its fifth consecutive year, and was hosted by Monika Plaha, TV presenter and broadcaster, and was joined amongst others by Talat Farooq Awan of the BBC, Harry Potter actress Afshan Azad, The Worshipful The Mayor of Oldham Councillor Javid Iqbal, Chairman of the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, Phil Cusack, to announce and present the 22 awards.
The Asian Wedding industry worth an estimated £1 billion across the UK, is a vibrant, colourful growth industry that keeps going from strength to strength and encompasses a diverse range of sectors from wedding planners and decorators through to wedding dress designers’, venues, hotels, DJs, Photographers and everyone in-between.
From over 300 nominations, the judges selected 22 businesses, they felt reflected the ethos of the Awards, which is, based around customer service, creativity, dedication, innovation, promoting positive values of the industry and going the “extra mile”.
The winners of the 2018 Asian Wedding Awards are:
- Award for Outstanding contribution to the Asian Wedding Industry, Dilip Modha
- The Wedding Professional of the Year Award, Ibrar Ahmed
- Banqueting Hall of the year, The Grand Banqueting Suite
- Bridal Wear Designer of the year, Aisha Naheed
- Cake Company of the year, Iced By Sajida
- The Robert Bell Caterer of the year, Payal Events
- Filmmaker of the year, Zeeshan Siddique
- Finishing Touches Supplier of the Year, Angelic Desserts
- Florist of the Year, Occasions Florists
- Grooms Wear Designer of the Year, Sai Fashions
- Makeup Artist of the year, Aphrodites Makeup Artist
- Music & Entertainment Supplier of the year, Darius Electric
- Photographer of the year, Zehra Photographer
- Wedding Planner of the year, Payal Events
- Toast Master of the Year, George Pye
- Transport Supplier of the year, AJ Limos
- Venue & Stage Decorator of the year, Saffron Events UK
- Venue of the year, Thornton Manor
- Accessories & Jewellery Supplier of the year, Jewels by KBD
- Wedding DJ of the year, Desi Jockeys
- Wedding Stationery Supplier of the year, Mani’s Creative
To view pictures of the Awards ceremony and winners please click here
Peter Aust, the immediate Past Executive Chairman of the Northern Guild of Toast Masters, and chairman of the Judging Panel said “All the judges felt the calibre of entries this year has been exceptional, with some amazing stories or personal endeavour, entrepreneurship and passion and as a result it was incredibly difficult to judge, everyone one the nominee list are deserving of An award, but we needed to come to a decision. “
The judges of this year’s awards included Afshan Azad – Actress, Manj Johal – Publisher of Asian Wedding Directory, Peter Aust Immediate Past Executive Chairman of Northern Guild of Toastmasters, Lorna Massey -Director of Sales at Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, Shelina Begum – Business Journalist Manchester Evening News, Beverly Khandoker – Managing Editor of Didsbury Magazine, Talat-farooq Awan – Broadcaster, Ambreen Ali – Asian Media Awards, Bala Iyer – Managing Director of Di5 Global and Phil Cusack – Chairman Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.
Monir Ali, Photographer & co founder of the Asian Wedding Awards says “Each year we see another set of stories of personal endeavour, hard work and sacrifice to make couples wedding day dreams come true. Each year the Award Winners raise the bar, and our Asian Wedding Awards, are regarded as the gold standard when it comes to finding the best wedding suppliers in the country”
Juel Khan, of Simplicity Events & – co founder of the Awards adds “another year of seeing the ethos of the Awards celebrated and embraced by the wedding professionals. And we would like to thank our sponsors and partners without who the awards would not be possible and they are Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, Namey, Costco Wholesale Oldham, Barkers Catering Hire, Mini Mocks, MyLahore, Asian Leader, Asian Image, Asian Lite, Didsbury Magazine, Asian Wedding directory and PBTV.”
DJ Fritz, of Supreme Dream Events and the third co-founder added “Each year we push ourselves and our teams to produce a great event, and now we have become biggest and most trusted Asian Awards event with a national presence and we look forward to doing it again in 2019.”
To see full pictures from the event visit the galleries here.